December 19, 2021 Preacher: Caleb Bunch Series: What Child is This? The Original Christmas Hymns
Topic: Christmas Scripture: Luke 1:67-79
Zechariah blesses the Lord for visiting and redeeming His people.
- Zechariah was a temple priest, a Levite. He and his wife Elizabeth were old and childless.
- He prays for a son. God answers his prayer and Elizabeth gives birth to John the
1. Zechariah's song is not about his son John, but about Jesus. (vs 68-75).
"Blessed be the Lord God of Israel, for He has visited and redeemed his people and has
raised up a horn of salvation for us in thye house of his servant David."
2. God is faithful. (vs 70-75)
- God "has raised up a horn of salvation" ... "to show the mercy promised to our fathers and to remember his holy covenant" v72 (see Psalm 132:17)
- "the oath that he swore to our father Abraham' v73 (see Genesis 17:4-7)
- "everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved" (Romans 10:13)
3. Jesus came to make us righteous and holy. (v72-75)
- "...that we... might serve him without fear, in holiness and righteousness before him
all our days" V74-75)
4. John's life mission: Born to point others to Jesus. (v76-79)
- "to give knowledge of salvation to his people" v 77
- "to give light to those in darkness...to guide our feet in the way of peace." v79
More in What Child is This? The Original Christmas Hymns
December 26, 2021Nunc Dimitis
December 24, 2021Gloria
December 12, 2021Magnificat